Specialized care for children.
HCIB is a proud member of the Pediatric Palliative Care Network helping children 22 or younger living in Massachusetts who have been diagnosed with an illness that could affect normal life expectancy.
Helping children and their families
Our compassionate care team helps children and their families achieve the best possible quality of life through symptom and pain management and physical, emotional, social and spiritual support. Our services include:
- Pain and symptom management
- Case management
- Counseling regarding diagnosis, prognosis, care planning, and options for plans of care
- Counseling for the child and affected family members
- Referrals to other resources
- Emergency planning and support
- Spiritual support
- Complementary health services such as music therapy, reiki, therapeutic massage and other physician-approved therapies
- Volunteer services
- Respite services
Read Kaydance’s story to learn how HCIB’s Pediatric Palliative Care program has supported her whole family.
For children with serious illness
Pediatric palliative care is for children who are 19 or younger with a diagnosis of a potentially life-limiting illness and living in Massachusetts. Referrals may be made by health care professionals, social service agencies, or family caregivers. A physician diagnosis of an illness that could limit normal life expectancy is required. Examples include advanced cancer, neurodegenerative conditions, major organ failure, HIV, cystic fibrosis, congenital or genetic conditions, neurological disorders, renal failure, or traumatic injury.
Read Ellie’s story to learn how our Pediatric Palliative Care program is helping her family advocate for the care and services she needs.
No cost for eligible patients and their families
The pediatric palliative care program is funded by the Massachusetts Department of Health and also supported by private donations. Services are provided to eligible children and their families at no cost if not already covered by health insurance.
Read Cam’s story to learn how Pediatric Palliative Care helps families through challenging times.
Add our team to your care team
Pediatric palliative care enhances other treatment your child may be receiving.
- Patients can continue to seek treatment for a cure while receiving services.
- Our care team coordinates care with patient’s primary care doctor.
- Funded by the Massachusetts Department of Public Health and also supported by private donations.
- Services provided at no cost for eligible children and their families.